Principal Property Manager
NHS PROPERTY SERVICES LTD
Principal Property Manager
Grade: Level 4
Responsible to: Head of Property Management
Directorate: Asset Management
The purpose of the Principal Property Manager (PPM) role is to manage a team of Senior Property Managers (SPM’s) who in conjunction with the PPM are responsible for both the zonal portfolio and the customer relationship.
Job Purpose and responsibilities
Leadership and co-ordination
The PPM is to act as customer leader across the zone and to ensure the entire SPM team wholly embrace that they are both the custodians of their properties and custodians of the customer relationship. This means acting as the single point of contact and assisting with the resolution of all customer issues including finance, FM and AM- liaising with colleagues where appropriate. There will therefore be a requirement for the PPM to ensure that every customer and every property is to be visited at least once a year in their zone, with SPM’s completing a site and customer proforma to record their meeting/inspection.
The PPM is to chair and lead monthly cross functional zonal meetings in order to ensure the wider operational zonal teams are fully conversant with property and customer issues which may include wider strategy issues, capital project investments, billing and finance issues and FM related matters. All minutes to be sent to AM and FM/Capital zonal leads, Heads of functions and stored in shared PPM filing system.
To contribute in establishing strategy and wider policy initiatives that support the effective management of the estate and related assets (as appropriate); this would ordinarily but not exclusively cover reconfiguration, optimisation and void management initiatives.
To lead the property management function within a zone, this will require the post holder to be accountable for the management of the property management team to include regular appraisals and reviews to promote a consistent standard across the zone. To include;
- Conducting minimum 12 documented business reviews with the team of SPM’s each calendar year, reviews of which are to cover all aspects of I & E
- Carrying out half year and full year performance reviews for SPM’s
- Ensuring that each team member is effectively performance managed in accordance with NHS PS policies, to include any additional training and development needs and formal HR intervention.
- To strategically manage the workloads of the team to ensure targets are achieved and resourcing is focused on a prioritised basis
- To identify commercial opportunities to improve utilisation of the estate and to provide strategic estate and property management services to the NHS commissioned customer base in line with corporate goals
Management of Business risks
The PPM is to take responsibility for ensuring the zonal regional SPM team takes the lead in formulating letting/lease termination strategy within 15 days of receipt of a Vacation Notice and then proactively converts the agreed lettings/surrender execution plan. As part of managing the business vacations risk the PPM will;
- Ensure best in class letting advisors are appointed execute re-letting and and surrender negotiations
- Ensure the SPM leads the procurement of costed schedules of works if works needed to be executed either as part of compensation payment or refurbishment as part of a re-letting strategy.
- Ensure the SPM takes responsibility for all handback activities on handover day ensuring all relevant parties are present and strategies expedited which will include variations to FM provision, notifications to insurance, rating, utilities and landlords together with a meter reading for all services.
- To ensure all data updates and notifications are executed by the team as part of the agreed handover process
Lettings risk- Lease Regularisation Programme (LRP) and expired documented leases.
There exists within the NHS PS portfolio a large number of undocumented leasing arrangements amongst the GP’s, Providers and commercial occupiers. NHS PS is currently embarking up an exciting programme to document these occupants on standardised leases terms including market rents and with accurate occupancy areas. The PPM working in conjunction with the zonal SPM’s will;
- Ensure that the budgeted number of new LRP leases will be completed within a given budget year and will proactively manage the SPM’s in respect of their allocated deals
- Ensure SPM’s approve all CAD plans in region which will be attached to new leases and which will generate new market rents
- To ensure all new leases are accurately recorded on the system by wau of completion of a Data Control Notice. ‘DCN’
- The PPM in conjunction with the LRP team and SPM will sign off all new LRP lease terms.
- The PPM will in conjunction with Head of Professional Services lead the programme for renewal of all documented leases on best commercial terms to budgeted levels. Negotiations being undertaken by both the zonal SPM’s and outsourced third party advisors.
Rental risk- Income and expenditure
To manage in conjunction with the Head of Professional Services all Landlord and Tenant property transactions e.g. rent reviews, leases renewals, tenancy agreements and licenses within the zone and ensure that they comply with current company policy, ensuring that appropriate resources are available and being focused on the maximisation of rental income streams from the portfolio duties to include;
- Detailed budgeting to be conducted in conjunction with the Professional Services team where NHS PS acts as both a landlord and a tenant. Budgeting to be assessed on a detailed individual basis to include all rent reviews and lease renewals. Reports and ERV evaluations to be obtained at least 12months out in the case of rent reviews and lease renewals.
- To execute the agreed rent review and lease renewal strategies ensuring all engagement with third parties is conducted to the highest of professional standards which both matches out the requirements of NHS PS and our NHS customers.
- To ensure all transactions are accurately updated into the company database via a data Control Notice. (DCN).
- To strategically manage, in conjunction with the Professional Services team and the Asset Management team all asset management and acquisition activities, which include lease extensions, lease break negotiations and new acquisitions. All transactions to be completed at budgeted or better levels and to accord with our NHS client requirements.
Service charges, insurance, rating and utilities risk
NHSPS manages an extensive service charge business risk. NHSPS receives service charge bills to the value of £30m pa from 700 landlords where NHSPS acts as tenant, and bills £86.7m pa service charge to a total of 2139 customers where NHSPS acts as landlord. There are 1056 GP practices of which 747 receive service charge and FM bills totalling £42.5 m pa. (£17.1 m pa service charge and £24.4 m pa FM). The PPM will;
- in conjunction with the SPM’s and Service Charge Lead will tactically challenge landlord service charge and insurance bills to ensure the actual payments are at better or below budgeted levels.
- take the lead in conjunction with the SPM’s for ensuring our service charge and insurance charges are accurate, reflective of services delivered and presented in a manner that is understandable. There will be a need to agree in conjunction with finance and FM all service charge budgets and year end true up/reconciliations prior to issue to customers.
- The PPM and SPM’s as the custodian of the customer relationship will therefore be at the forefront of selected billing escalations which will reduce in number and value as NHS PS develops it’s systems and processes.
- will ensure that the zonal teams are provided with utility charges/cost for all properties, whether fully occupied, part occupied or vacant. The PPM will be responsible through working with the NHS PS SPM’s and National Utility Manager for ensuring that utility providers are automatically updated following any tenancy and that utility charges are minimised for vacant and part vacant properties. Customer relations
- appoint best in class advisors to manage dilapidations risk where NHS PS acting both as tenant and landlord. Seek to recover all costs from NHS Commissioners and providers where appropriate.
- have overarching responsibility for integrity of Horizon property data in the Zone.
- Manage all zonal business risks through an Income and Expenditure dashboard that will produce performance outcomes on a monthly basis.
- Chartered Surveyor or equivalent and or minimum of 10 years NHS experience in a senior estates role.
- 10 years health sector experience Health/ Public sector property knowledge desirable
- Intimate understanding and track record of managing a large diverse portfolio
- Track record of formulating estates strategies
- Excellent market awareness and L&T knowledge
- Well-developed working knowledge of best asset management, acquisition and disposal practices
- Developed experience having managed in house and outsourced teams effectively
- Highly commercial with well-developed budgeting, cost control and financial analytical skills and intensely customer focused
- Strong Negotiation (internal and external), Leadership, Influencing
- Personable with business acumen
- Team player with good presentation skills
- Gravitas, Tenacious, Diligent, Quick learner and Good listener
- Enthusiastic and good motivator
- Flexible and adaptable
NHS Property Services Ltd is one of the largest property owners in the UK, with a £3 billion asset portfolio, some 4,000 properties, 3,000 employees and an annual income of over £700 million. Our aim is to deliver outstanding quality across our estate in partnership with NHS organisations, generating cost efficiencies that will benefit our tenants, patients and the wider health economy.
Apply for Principal Property Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly