Principal Policy & Portfolio Manager
4 days left
- Full Time
Principal Policy & Portfolio Manager
Travel requirements: Regular visits to Hubs required
Reports to: Head of Property Management
Direct Reports: 5, the Policy & Process Manager, the Portfolio Contracts Manager and 3x Lease Event Managers.
Directorate: Asset Management
About the role
The primary purpose of the Principal Policy & Portfolio Manager is to lead a team that ensures that the Property Management team, and wider Asset Management team, work to consistent processes and best practice methodologies. This requires the Principal Policy & Portfolio Manager to be the custodian of asset management policy development, the developer and owner of a property management operating manual, the focal for audit and governance activity within property management, the owner of national contract management for property management activity, and the programme manager of lease event activity.
The role will reside in London but regular engagement is required with the 8 zone property management teams (South East, South West, London, Midlands, East, North East, North Central and North West) to ensure policies, processes and programme activity is practical and implementable.
The role will be responsible for:
- Maintaining existing policy papers ensuring they are adhered to by the property management teams. This will require annual reviews of the policies to ensure they remain relevant
- Undertaking regular visits to the zones to ensure policies and practices are understood at an implementation level. This will include regular zone engagement and training
- Developing policies in relation to asset management activities liaising internally with NHSPS, with the Department of Health, NHS England, NHS Improvement and the wider Customer base as necessary
- Developing best practice guides for asset management activities
- Developing an operating manual for the property management function to provide clarity on the processes to be followed for key activities.
- Developing, collating and modifying process maps that support the operating manual.
- Reviewing processes with process owners on an annual cycle to ensure they remain relevant and aligned with the property management activities and wider asset management activities
- Acting as a key point of contact for all audit and governance activity within asset management, liaising with internal stakeholders, internal auditors, the National Audit Office, and the Executive Committee members as required
- Developing a programme to help the property management function attain quality management accreditation (e.g. ISO9001) working internally to achieve the required protocols and controls to meet the required standards
- Procuring, with the Procurement team, national contracts for the provision of property management services utilising public frameworks as necessary and ensuring the selection of suppliers is OJEU compliant
- Directing the Portfolio Contracts Manager to manage procured national contracts for the provision of property management activities including, but not limited to, business rates reviews, energy performance certificates, insurance and landlord service charge reviews. Ensuring that the suppliers are performing as per agreed KPIs and undertaking regular performance reviews
- Reviewing property management activities and making recommendations for potential out - tasking opportunities to assist in improved performance in zone
- Programme manage head lease and sub-lease event activity (i.e. expiries, rent reviews, break options) ensuring pro-active reporting of events at least 12-18 months in advance. This requires the development of data reporting aligned with Horizon and analysis at a zone and Senior Property Manage level
- Managing the Lease Event Managers to help support the zone property management teams in the execution of lease events to ensure they are timely and deliver terms that are favourable to the current cost to the NHS or when compared to the open market.
- Acting as an ambassador of a data-driven function and helping drive a culture that promotes the highest quality of data.
- Managing the budgets for the national contract and lease event work, reviewing these budgets at least monthly and highlighting forecasting over or under spend to the Head of Property Management
- Chartered Surveyor, Chartered Engineer or similar accreditation
- Line management experience of at least 4 personnel at one time
- Knowledge and experience in Programme management, Real estate, policy development in relation to real estate activity and process mapping in relation to real estate activity. Public sector experience desirable
- Data proficiency, advanced Excel skills and data reporting skills
- Presentation skills to an advance level (oral and written)
- Reporting software usage (Tableau, Power BI) desirable
- Interest in policy, process and governance a desire the work in a change environment
- High attention to detail and accuracy
- Willingness to actively engage with colleagues and a Team player
- Ability to work to deadlines
Why you should join us
Go further in your career and join our talented community. We are different from other property and facilities management companies; we support our NHS customers to deliver healthcare premises that meet future needs for patient services and all the profit goes back to the NHS to create efficient, sustainable and modern healthcare and working environments.
We will encourage and support you, both so you can carry out your role to the best of your ability, and to have your say; recognise and reward you for your contribution and encourage you to enjoy a good work/life balance.
NHS Property Services Ltd is one of the largest property owners in the UK, with a £3 billion asset portfolio, some 4,000 properties, 3,000 employees and an annual income of over £700 million. Our aim is to deliver outstanding quality across our estate in partnership with NHS organisations, generating cost efficiencies that will benefit our tenants, patients and the wider health economy.
Apply for Principal Policy & Portfolio Manager
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly