Service Charge Lead
Service Charge Lead
Responsible to: Head of Professional Services
Directorate: Asset Management
NHS Property Services Ltd is one of the largest property owners in the UK, with a £3 billion asset portfolio, some 4,000 properties, 3,000 employees and an annual income of over £700 million.
Established in April 2013, the company is a limited company but also part of the wider NHS family. Having inherited responsibility for the facilities and property management functions previously managed by NHS primary care trusts and strategic health authorities, we own and run properties that range from listed buildings through to award-winning, state-of-the-art integrated health campuses.
Our aim is to deliver outstanding quality across our estate in partnership with NHS organisations, generating cost efficiencies that will benefit our tenants, patients and the wider health economy.
Main purpose / scope of the role
Reporting day to day to the Head of Professional Services.
The professional services team is a team that provides high level support and expertise to the wider business and the field based operational team in the management of the business key risks. (Rent, service charge, insurance and utilities)
To take responsibility and ownership for the management of a service charge and insurance risk of approaching £25m relating to service charges and insurance payable to superior landlords where NHPS is tenant. The key deliverables being;
- To collate a NHSPS database relating to all service charge and insurance billing
- To mount targeted service charge and insurance challenges with our landlords in order to effectively manage and reduce these business risks.
- To act as the identified internal expert for service charge and insurance, both for the property management and FM teams but also the wider business.
- To strategically manage both the in house property management function and outsourced service charge specialist contactor to ensure that best in class expertise is applied to all escalations.
- To work closely with the Finance, FM and property management functions in order to advise as to service charge best practice where NHSPS acts as landlord.
- To proactively advise and assist with billing enquiries received from tenants relating to service charge queries
- To assist with the development of the NHSPS database (Horizon) to ensure that service data is properly collated and recorded.
- This role requires the Head of Services Charges to operate in a highly strategic manner reflective of the fact that NHSPS may absorb substantially more property from the wider NHS estate. Therefore the candidate needs to take this into account to ensure that the manner by which this business risk is managed is scalable.
Essential: Maths and English GCSE or equivalent grade A-C, MRICS
Desirable: Higher Educational Qualification in a related subject.
Essential: Good working knowledge of the RICS codes of practise and guidance notes relating to Service Charges.
Essential: Experience of Service charge reconciliations. Must have previous “hands on” work experience relating to service charges, including the challenging of such.
Desirable: Experience of setting up Service charge budgets
Essential: Self starter. Experience of managing outsourced agents or contracts.
Essential: Must be approachable. Needs the ability to work as part of a team.
Apply for Service Charge Lead
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly