You are here

Building surveyor

Ever wondered what it would be like to train and work as a building surveyor...
Written on 8/21/09

What is a building surveyor?

A building surveyor provides professional advice on all aspects of an existing building. He or she will work on site to monitor the performance of a project.

This is a wide and varied profession with work including the design, maintenance, alteration, repair, refurbishment and restoration of existing buildings.

A chartered building surveyor may also work alongside the architect or designer, assisting them in drawing up plans and making modest adaptations.

The building surveyor technician will work in a similar capacity but with less supervisory responsibilities and often on less complex schemes.

His or her work will involve organising structural surveys and ensuring projects are completed in time. The job also involves at times carrying out legal work that will include negotiating with local planning bodies, advising clients on areas such as sustainability or the preservation of historical or listed buildings.

The work is much less desk bound than some branches of surveying, with a large proportion of the working day spent on site.

Becoming a building surveyor

You will need a relevant degree which will often cover general aspects of construction with a focus on valuation, project management, engineering, law and economics.

A course accredited by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES) or the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) will help you get professional qualification once you’ve graduated and are working.

Search for courses at RICS Courses.

Salary expectations

Salaries vary depending on location, with central London offering the highest rates.

Graduates can expect to earn roughly around £18,000 - £20,000 outside London and up to £24,000 in the capital.

Chartered surveyors will earn more around £32,000 and a partner can earn above £70,000.

For more information visit the RICS, the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) or the Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors (ICES).

Search building surveyor jobs