LocatED is looking to recruit an experienced Senior Surveyor – Project Monitoring, who will support us in our mission of the delivery of world-class schools, creating thousands of good school places and great communities for current and future generations.
You will work alongside the LocatED Development Team providing technical advice and supporting on the initial master-planning as well as the design and development of complex mixed-use schemes. This role will involve the on-site project management of the delivery of new free schools plus working with existing schools to help them manage their estates more effectively.
LocatED is a great place to work, the team is committed to a high performance culture, which is innovative, dynamic, fast-paced and importantly, fun. We value your work life balance and ensure achievement is recognised and rewarded.
In return, we offer:
- A basic salary of between £50,000 - £67,701 depending on experience
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays
- A matched pension contribution up to 6%
- The opportunity to earn up to 20% of your salary in performance related pay
- Ability to work from home subject to meeting business needs
- The ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities
- Various discounts with popular retailers and restaurants
Key responsibilities include:
- Assisting Development Managers in the preparation of feasibility studies, planning assessments and masterplans for the more complex sites, including reporting to and liaising with the internal and external teams plus keeping the DfE, trusts and schools involved at all times.
- Working with the teams to prepare outline budgets, agree development strategies, carry out planning pre-application work and in some cases: preparing planning applications, securing planning permission and procuring development partners.
- Co-ordinating external and internal project teams on projects in delivery mode.
- Acting as the Client Representative in the pre-construction and construction delivery phase where appropriate.
- Taking overall responsibility for building relationships with all key stakeholders, both internally and externally and understanding the education landscape in this context.
- Ensuring that key performance and service level agreement targets are met or exceeded for schemes that the post-holder is responsible for.
- Commissioning work to professional advisers and consultants, solicitors and technical advisors.
- Providing the technical input required to allow LocatED to operate to its investment rules, providing updates to Mixed-Use Investment Committee, LocatED Board and also to DfE PM and PD for updates to the Store as well as DfE design advisors, ICT and H&S teams.
- Liaising with and co-ordinating/validating input from end users
- Carrying out regular progress inspections and preparing accurate and well-presented update reports for the Mixed-Use Investment Committee.
- Developing and managing budgets and monitoring actual spend on schemes ensuring budgets are not exceeded. Ensuring full compliance with all relevant financial and public procurement regulations.
- Adding value by seeking to reduce costs or ensure best value.
Essential skills and requirements:
- A thorough understanding of the entire construction process including all the technical aspects of development delivery
- Commercially strong and technically able to deliver complex mixed-use schemes.
- Appreciation of the drivers impacting developer’s decision making as well as our likely client base (schools, LAs, other government departments etc.).
- Ability to manage projects and articulate the current status, future risks and likely delivery timescales.
Desirable skills and requirements:
- Qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS/FRICS), Chartered builder (CIOB), Civil Engineer (ICE) or similar.
- PRINCE2 or similar project management qualification.
- Established networks with landowners, institutional investors, developers, local authorities and professional teams.
- Cross-sector experience, including a significant amount of mixed-use experience.
- Experience of working with or for house builders and/or developers.
- Experience of working on joint ventures between the public and private sector.
- Experience of delivering schemes including education elements.
£50,000 - £67,701 plus benefits