Senior Director-Legal Counsel (Data Centres)
Our client is an extremely well funded Data Centre Developer/Operator covering APAC.
The Senior Director & Assistant General Counsel - APAC is responsible for legal and corporate governance in support of our client's strategic opportunities and business objectives while spearheading the setting up of an in-house legal function. In addition to providing excellent legal expertise and support, the candidate must bring a proactive, business and solution-oriented mindset to legal and regulatory matters, an enterprise lens and a proven ability to work collaboratively across the organization. Ideal candidates for this role will have regional in-house and law firm experience, strong business acumen, enterprise leadership skills, grit and perseverance, passion for growing a business and experience in continuous improvement and driving enhancements that benefit the Company.
Essential Job Functions
- Be a strategic partner by providing practical, business focused and sound legal advice.
- Provide proactive legal advice to achieve business and strategic objectives while fully and appropriately managing and leveraging legal risk.
- Manage the legal work for complex business transactions and agreements with clients, lenders, suppliers, and contractors, as well as real estate transactions.
- Responsible for supporting all legal matters across APAC inclusive of complex legal entity structures, compliance, financings and M&A.
- Identify and assess legal risks related to our client's business strategy to address and minimize such risks in an efficient fashion to maximize achievement of business objectives.
- Implement legal strategy for the Company and build the legal infrastructure in APAC; including legal entity management, governance, legal budget and contract management.
- Responsible for legal work and supervision of outside counsel associated with complex commercial agreements for data center development, operations and acquisitions, financings and corporate matters, and supplier contracts; including analysis, drafting, document review, due diligence and other matters related to these transactions.
- Support Design Engineering & Construction, Operations, and Procurement departments.
- Stay updated on the APAC regulatory landscape and emerging regulatory policies and trends and inform relevant stakeholders about the potential risks, opportunities and impact to the Company.
- Partner with stakeholders to develop legal policies, processes, regulatory and compliance frameworks, and provide education and training where needed.
- Responsible for oversight of legal work related to employment, benefits and Company policies.
- Bachelor’s degree in Law; qualified and registered to practice law in the region.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant experience between private practice, government service and/or in-house role in corporate or commercial work in Singapore or the region.
- Admitted to practice in Singapore or other common law jurisdiction.
- Extensive APAC cross-border corporate and private practice experience. Experience within the data center or telecommunications industry not required but preferred.
- Working knowledge of mergers and acquisitions, debt covenants, litigation, employment law and data center/telecommunications law and services.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-rounded corporate and commercial lawyer who is also a practical and business-minded executive.
- Strong communication, negotiation and legal writing skills. Excellent interpersonal and management skills.
- Ability to navigate seamlessly between being highly strategic and hands-on.
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills that enable the candidate to juggle multiple responsibilities at once and consistently meet tight deadlines.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of Mandarin Chinese, Japanese or Korean is an added advantage but not a pre-requisite.
- Impeccable integrity, credibility, character and ethics.