Managing Director Role
AREF is the industry association representing the interests of the real estate funds industry, primarily in the UK and associated offshore jurisdictions. It represents all types of real estate funds, their managers and investors, and support and advisory firms. AREF has recently become a special member of the Investment Association (IA) with which it has a close, formal working relationship, including the provision of resources to support AREF activities. AREF, in turn, will act as the real estate centre of expertise for the IA.
The MD is the most senior AREF executive responsible, in conjunction with the AREF Board, for the strategic direction of the association and for personally leading and managing it. The MD will also lead the IA real estate initiative. The successful candidate will therefore need to be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of the real estate funds industry and significant relevant experience within it.
The role includes:
- Proactively assessing industry trends and significant potential influences and guiding the association to help the industry prepare
- Regular active engagement with all categories of member at all levels of seniority
- Promotion of AREF to potential members in order to grow the association
- Ensuring active lobbying on key issues and responses to all relevant consultations
- Acting as the primary external spokesperson in respect of media relations
- Ensuring appropriate messaging and content to inform existing members and support business growth
- Management of AREF committee structures and resourcing, including chairing AREF Management Committee/ IA Property Committee
- Creation, implementation and delivery of a Business Plan, including budgeting and financial oversight and formalising the aims and mission statement of AREF
- Establishing and managing relationships with other relevant trade bodies globally
- Managing key business relationships, e.g. IA, MSCI
- Overseeing the association’s events programme
- Ensuring AREF is properly resourced and managing staff and consultants
- In conjunction with IA, building relationships with media and government officials in order to advance AREF’s aims
- Maintaining awareness of risks and changes externally that will affect AREF
- Ensuring that AREF fulfils its legal, statutory and regulatory obligations.
Reporting and resources
The MD will have dual reporting lines. He/she will be the sole executive director of AREF, reporting to a Board which otherwise comprises non-executive directors from across the industry. The MD will also have a reporting line to the CEO of the IA and will be a part of the IA Executive Team.
The MD will manage relationships with IA personnel engaged on AREF activities, both partly and wholly, as well as external consultants engaged directly by AREF.
The current incumbent has indicated an intention to step down from the role at the end of 2019 but a degree of flexibility on timing is possible.
Please send an expression of interest, including a current CV, to the current Chairman, Deborah Lloyd, by email to email@example.com.