DEVELOPMENT MANAGER - HOMEBASED IN LONDON
LocatED, an Arms-Length Body to the Department for Education (DfE), which is responsible for buying and developing sites in England to help deliver much needed new school places for thousands of children, is looking to recruit a Development Manager.
Working with the Development Team and with other professionals in LocatED, this role will lead on the delivery of mixed-use development projects. This will include undertaking master planning, appraisals, the formulation of complex mixed-use schemes for school sites as well as working with schools to help them manage their estates more effectively.
Main Duties & Responsibilities include:
- Appraising the potential of existing and new sites for schools, including undertaking development appraisals.
- Managing the preparation of feasibility studies, planning assessments and masterplans for the more complex sites. To include liaising with internal and external teams and keeping trusts and schools involved at all times.
- Working with the teams to prepare outline budgets, agree development strategies, carry out planning pre-application work and in some cases, prepare planning applications, secure planning permission and procure development partners.
- Scoping and executing a range of deal structures with private sector developers, including identifying the optimum deal structure for each project.
- Considering all creative options for alternative use of parts of school buildings or school sites to maximise value to schools, academies or multi-academy trusts to help them achieve their objectives. This is likely to include teacher/key working housing, private housing, commercial space, enhanced sports and leisure and also third party income uses.
- Developing and implementing procurement and delivery strategies for schemes, including the use of development management agreements and developer frameworks.
- Providing general estate management advice to schools, LAs and other responsible bodies.
- Ensuring all development proposals meet LocatED’s Investment Criteria and comply with all necessary procurement rules and regulations. This will involve the preparation of reports for the Investment Committee and obtaining Investment Committee approval.
- Acting as the Client Representative in the construction delivery phase where appropriate.
- Building relationships with all key stakeholders, both internally and externally and understand the education landscape in this context.
Key Skills & Requirements:
To be successful in this role you will need:
- To be a qualified Chartered Surveyor (MRICS/FRICS) with a thorough understanding of the entire development process.
- An understanding of the range of deal structures available to deliver mixed-use schemes.
- To be commercially strong and technically able to deliver complex mixed-use schemes.
- An appreciation of the drivers impacting developer’s decision making as well as our likely client base (schools, LAs, other government departments etc.)
- The ability to manage projects and clearly communicate the status of your project to a wide range of stakeholders.
- An understanding of the technical aspects of development delivery.
- A proven track record of identifying and unlocking value in sites and negotiating and executing mixed-use and development deals.
In return we offer:
- A basic salary of £52,275 – £70,781 depending on experience.
- 25 days annual leave increasing with service up to 28 days plus statutory holidays.
- Matched pension contribution up to 6%.
- Opportunity to earn up to 20% bonus in performance-related pay scheme.
- Ability to access training and other continuing professional development opportunities.
- Various discounts with popular retailers.
- Ability to work from home.
Equality, diversity and inclusion are fundamental to the continuing success at LocatED. We actively encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds and all sections of the community, regardless of race, religious beliefs, political opinions, colour, ethnic origin, nationality, marital/parental status, gender, age, sexual orientation or disability. We also support applications from those returning from a career break or from other roles.