Job Role: Building Surveyor
Location: South East
Job Sector: FirstPort Surveyors
Hours: 35 hours per week
As a FirstPort Building Surveyor, you will contribute to our vision of being the favourite residential property manager, as recognised by others by:
- Making a difference to how our customers enjoy their homes.
- Surveying properties and preparing accurate specifications of works
The role of Building Surveyor reports to the Surveying Manager
This is a field based role for a building surveyor who enjoys managing their own diary and the associated benefits which come from not having to travel into an office every day. All travel for work is commenced from your base of operations (home location) and is part of a package including a car allowance.
You are currently working as a building surveyor and ideally have some experience in the residential sector.
Ideally you will be a member of the RICS or CIOB. If you do not hold membership of either of these organisations, a few years practical experience is a requirement with examples of works undertaken.
In your current role you are responsible for decision making across a variety of building types and you enjoy considering different methods and applying your wide-ranging skill set to always find the best solution for your customer.
You are a pragmatic problem solver who always takes a common sense approach so find the most suitable resolve for all projects.
A knowledge of Section 20 is desirable, however not essential.
You have a high standard of both verbal and written communication. which you put to good use in your report and specification preparation. Your clients will be non-technical and as such it is important that you are able to purvey information clearly to the appropriate ordinance.
You will be self-motivated and diligent. Whilst you will, for the most part, be working independently, it will fall upon you to engage with other team members, to aid in solutions or on projects. You will also be comfortable being shadowed by less experienced team members and willing to offer support.
Being tech savvy means you confident in using laptops / tablets and are fluent in the different MS packages. You may also have CAD experience although this is not essential. Training on specific software to FirstPort will be provided where required.
FirstPort is the largest and most experienced residential property manager in the UK, employing more than 3,000 colleagues dedicated to looking after peoples' home.
Great property management is about more than just bricks and mortar. We recognise and value the contribution our people make to our business and we are committed to ensuring they are skilled and equipped to do the best job they can and that they have the opportunity to realise their full potential.
Our Values set out the commitments we have made to deliver excellent service and they inform the relationships that we have with customers and clients. They shape our culture and are used in measuring and rewarding performance.
- The role is field based with support from our surveying co-ordinator based in the Luton office. You will be part of a team of 10 surveyors who deal with a wide range of asset types, including new builds, listed buildings, retirement housing developments, and large and complicated city centre complexes.
- Surveying properties and preparing specifications of works.
- Building defect diagnosis and preparation of reports for clients, focussing on value for money resolutions, taking into account the short, medium and long-term business plan objectives for the property.
- Prepare reports and attend, when requested or required, meetings with the clients, working groups, residents groups, always acting as a responsible representative for FirstPort. This may include some evening and weekend working.
- Advise on mechanical and electrical aspects of buildings. Although in depth knowledge of such components is not essential, it would be desirable to have a broad understanding of mechanical and electrical equipment within buildings.
- Supervising works to buildings to ensure excellent customer care, exemplary contractor performance, and technically superb