Bursting with culture, innovation, energy and opportunity, Waltham Forest is a place people want to live, raise a family, start a business and work. We are an award winning Council, winner of the Municipal Journal local authority of the year 2019.
We have ambitious and bold plans to improve our housing service delivery and have re-designed our Operations teams to deliver.
Our transformed Housing Assets Service is seeking a number of applicants for the following Key posts to help make our ambitions a reality.
Your new role
The operational maintenance service is delivered through 2 Principal Contractors in accordance with TPC contractual requirements. The Assistant Quantity Surveyor (QS) will report to the Quantity Surveyor. The role is to provide cost management, audit, procurement and contract administration services on Capital and Repair and the Planned Maintenance Programme. The successful candidate will be required to develop and deliver Quantity Surveying support to the Housing Assets service area and to ensure relevant Contractual requirements, legislation, regulations and policies are complied with.
Your main responsibilities will involve:
- Ensure that all task and purchase orders are prepared in an accurate mannerand appropriately signed off – incorporating all validated pricing and programme information.
- Ensure the Project Task orders /programmes are delivered in the most cost effective manner to time, cost and quality in accordance with TPC contractual requirements.
- Review and agree Constructor’s monthly Valuations and issue Payment Certificates in accordance with the timescales set out within TPC Contract requirements .
- Interrogate defined cost submissions, identify any disallowed costs. Assess forecasts for management use.
- Identify where contractual value engineering can be made.
- Inform claims for loss and expense and extensions of time submitted by Contractual service delivery partners.
- Programmes are delivered in a cost effective manner , informed by TPC Contractual requirements and meet Capital Programme /Corporate Mid Term Financial strategy projections
- Risks of Non compliance to Contractual requirements resulting in Financial loss to the Council is managed effectively
- Financial Standing orders and Corporate contractual requirements are met.
- Uses QS forensic skills in ensuring projects are delivered within project budgets , preventing minimising contractual disputes and additional costs to the Council
- Involvement in Performance management and Team working ensures the delivery of the QS function
What you'll need to succeed
• Developing knowledge of contract management;
• Quantity Surveying and commercial good practice in relation to housing repairs and maintenance;
• Demonstrable understanding of the risks associated with large commercial contracts and appropriate mitigation measures.
• Working towards a Degree or equivalent or vocational qualification in relevant subject or area
Evidence of Professional Development
When looking for applicants we are keen to hear from all candidates who fit the Role profile criteria, however the Council is particularly keen to encourage and improve diversity. This is because we recognise that what people bring through their personal experiences, background and identity significantly enhances to the Council’s ability to deliver services to our residents.
Therefore applicants who are women and applicants from Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic backgrounds are encouraged.
The Council is also a Disability Confident employer where those candidates declaring a disability, meeting the minimum criteria for the role, will be shortlisted for interview. Details are available within the application process.
What you'll get in return
PO2 Payscale + local authority benefits package and flexible working options available
What you need to do now
This vacancy is being exclusively managed by Diana Amalinei from Hays Recruitment. If you need any further information regarding the post, please reach out to her on 02072598811.
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.