Office of Financial Strategy
The Office of Financial Strategy (OFS) is seeking to appoint a new Strategic Manager.
This is an exciting opportunity in which you will lead project teams and deliver real-estate focussed strategic ventures, identified by the Office of Financial Strategy and approved by the President’s Group. You will play an important role for Imperial College in making a material impact (in the multi-millions) on the long-term financial strategy and sustainability of the College (as set out in Imperial College’s Strategy -2015-2020).
You will provide strategic input and review into existing ventures to ensure strong asset management and produce business plans for new ventures, while ensuring that opportunities to grow and improve are maximised. This will include identifying and assessing potential new opportunities to diversify the College’s income streams and maintaining a high-level review of the performance and future financial needs of the various components of the College: Core areas, Endowment and academic-related ventures (e.g. Non-core Property Portfolio, ThinkSpace, GradPad, Imperial Living, Commercial Operations).
As a Strategic Manager, you will undertake a varied role with significant financial and project management responsibilities at Project Director level. You will report to the Strategy Director (Property), deputising as required, additionally providing professional support to the other Strategic Directors in OFS.
Duties and responsibilities
- Working with a high degree of autonomy, analyse the potential of new real estate opportunities, developing evidence-based business cases, operational models and delivery programmes. This will include establishing the risk and reward potential and fully costed budgets and resource management to take ventures through to operation.
- Act as day-to-day lead on the sale or purchase of assets, as determined by the strategy of each portfolio.
- Lead on the production of all necessary approval documentation, including final reports on opportunities to Council via the President’s Group and/orSyndicate, or to Endowment Board.
- Ensure that all projects and new ventures are thoroughly documented and approved in accordance with College regulations for auditpurposes.
- Provide advice and insight into potential strategic opportunities for existing property ventures (e.g. GradPad, Imperial Living, Endowment Property, Strategically Retained Assets) in order to ensure that returns continue to be maximised
- Act as Project Director on specific opportunities, as determined by the Strategic Director (Property), identifying and appointing the professional consultants required to progress the project and to line manage any internal staff, to ensure project delivery against contract and in line with the College’s procurementguidelines.
- Ensure that all projects are managed in line with the governance procedures agreed with President’s Group and, more widely, the College’s regulations. Create and establish governance procedures in areas of newactivity.
- Prepare the budget and annual plan for an assigned portfolio projects, maintaining oversight and control of thosebudgets, and reporting to relevant Boards regularly. Prepare robust financial/development appraisals, in liaison with the Finance Division, in support of projectproposals.
- Work with the relevant professional teams to identify opportunities to structure contracts in innovative ways so that returns to the College are maximised within the limits of the Financial Regulations and in liaison with Purchasing and LegalServices.
- Act as an official representative for the College at external meetings on approved opportunities, making decisions under delegated authority within agreedparameters. Deputise for the Strategic Director (Property) as required and support the briefs for the other Strategic Directors in OFS.
To succeed in this role you will possess:
- A good honours degree (or overseas equivalent); a qualification in the real estate field is desirable.
- An understanding of the real estate sector in the UK, including the financial and the risk vs return drivers which underpin real estate’s position in a mixed asset portfolio.
- An understanding of Imperial College’s financial strategy, structure and funding sources, or for other similar research/capital intensive higher education institutions.
- A keen knowledge and interest of commercial issues in a higher education environment.
- Extensive and demonstrable project management skills, including experience in delivering complex multi-million pound projects on time and on budget within an institutional environment.
- Experience of negotiating detailed contractual terms with external parties and delivering the requisite internalapprovals.
- Proven experience in preparing and managing capital budgets in excess of £20m and recurrent budgets in excess of £5m p.a.
- Experience of tendering large contracts and upholding procurement procedures.
- Proven experience at contributing at a senior level within an organisation and representing the organisation to external stakeholders.
- Proven ability to write clear and concise proposals and reports to senior committees.
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple projects concurrently, delegating work with clear instructions to staff or professional consultants as appropriate.
- Ability to identify key issues, exercise initiative and make decisions quickly in a commercial environment.
- Competency in building excellent relationships with a large group of clients, stakeholders and colleagues.
- Proven ability to interpret and manipulate financial information, and communicate this to others.
- Ability to work towards ensuring equal opportunities objectives are met.
- A high degree of computer literacy, including a detailed understanding and demonstrable experience of Microsoft Excel.
You will have a flexible approach to work, being prepared to work from other campuses and working the hours required to achieve delivery of projects.
The Strategic Manager post is a full-time permanent position within the Office of Financial Strategy.
Applicants will be required to complete the online application form. To apply, visit www.imperial.ac.uk/jobs and search by the job reference FOG00320.
The closing date for applications is 15 October 2019.
Should you require any further details on the role please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues when applying online please email email@example.com
Imperial College is committed to equality of opportunity, to eliminating discrimination and to creating an inclusive working environment. We are an Athena SWAN Silver award winner, a Stonewall Diversity Champion, a Disability Confident Employer and work in partnership with GIRES to promote respect for trans people.