Senior Technical Manager
Senior Technical Manager
Directorate: Deputy CEO
We are looking for:
York Central is a once in a generation opportunity to deliver a £650m mixed use development scheme on predominantly Homes England and Network Rail land. The development comprises of a new commercial quarter, up to 2,500 homes and a £50m expansion in the world class National Railway Museum, together with high quality public realm on a 35ha brownfield site in York city centre.
To ensure that we deliver this exciting and high profile project we require a highly motivated and commercially minded technical and engineering professional to work as part of a dedicated delivery team led by our new Project Director. Based in the heart of the city this will be a very hands on role and you will be expected to work at pace and scale.
Our successful candidate will:
The post holder will have a large and varied work load reporting directly to the Project Director. The successful candidate will use their specialist development skills and commercial acumen to acquire, de-risk, develop and dispose of land assets in line with the agreed masterplan. This will include, but not limited to:
- Provide engineering input and expertise to the acquisition and disposal of land assets within the North East Yorkshire and the Humber.
- Arrange for the appointment of successful framework engineering consultants, contractors and the appointment of framework solicitor for legal activities.
- Taking a lead role in the procurement of consultant teams and other relevant advisers to support the work of the team. Including the pro-active management of consultants.
- Draft tender documents and manage contract for, but not limited to, demolition contracts, scoping out SI tenders, infrastructure design and delivery.
- Project Manage on the client side from inception to completion with the Project Director oversight including reviewing consultant’s project management plans and appointment documents, specifications and drawings and overseeing financial management of projects including reviewing and approving certificates and invoices.
- Review Flood Risk Assessments, Drainage Strategies and Site Investigation reports prepared by consultants.
- Provide leadership and management on a project basis.
The skills we would like are:
Candidates must have an appropriate professional civil engineering membership, or degree level education. You must also have experience in one, or more, of the following areas: structural, civil, geotechnical, environmental and transportation engineering.
- Candidates must also have considerable demonstrable experience in delivering residential and commercial development.
- Experience of assessing key strategic and operational risks and putting credible plans in place to mitigate those risks.
- Candidates must also have considerable demonstrable experience in delivering residential and commercial development of developing and procuring development partners via OJEU.
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Experience in risk mitigation strategies.
About Homes England:
Homes England is the new national housing agency, recently launched to play a major role in fixing the housing market and enabling delivery of homes that our country needs.
Homes England brings together land, money, expertise, and planning & compulsory purchase powers, with a clear remit to facilitate delivery of sufficient new homes, where they are most needed, to deliver a sustained improvement in affordability. We work locally in individual communities to help meet local priorities.
We invest mostly in building new homes, but also in creating employment floor space and other community facilities, in cities, towns and villages across the country. The homes we fund include affordable homes for rent and sale, and homes for rent or sale at market prices. Our investment helps build around half of all new homes built in England each year. It also helps increase local growth by creating jobs and supporting businesses.
We own public land, which we sell to house builders and others. This is one of the ways in which we overcome barriers to development and help increase the speed with which house builders can build new homes.
Homes England is an executive non-departmental public body, sponsored by the Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government.
Homes England was launched by the Secretary of State on 11 January 2018. Homes England is the trading name of Homes and Communities Agency. To find out more about what we do please visit: www.gov.uk/government/organisations/homes-england and find out more about how Homes England are Making Homes Happen http://sps.tmpwcomms.net/homesengland/.
How to apply:
For more information on the role and how to apply, please visit the Civil Service Jobs page, by clicking ‘Apply’ below.
Please note – we do not accept CVs as a form of application