The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is the UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on environmental, food and rural issues.
We are responsible for policy and regulations on:
- the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
- sustainable development and the green economy
- food, farming and fisheries
- animal health and welfare
- environmental protection and pollution control
- rural communities and issues
Although we only work directly in England, we work closely with the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and we generally lead on negotiations in the EU and internationally.
Read more about the Department, including key facts and figures, our priorities and objectives on our website.