Home-based Building Surveyor
Your new company
When it comes to retail, we are leaders in the sector.
We have 700 shops across the UK and ongoing expansion plans. We serve 17 million customers each year. Plus, we deliver annual profits of nearly £30 million that fund pioneering research into heart and circulatory diseases.
We couldn't do it without our people who run a seamless operation, get a kick out of finding brilliant products, and delivering a first rate customer service.
Ultimately everything we do comes back to saving lives so if you want a career with a fast paced retailer that also makes a difference, join the British Heart Foundation as a Building Surveyor.
Your new role
You will be joining the Building & Maintenance team and will be responsible for managing the delivery of the Stores Programme as part of the Retail Directorate's Expansion & Refurbishment Scheme.
You will be part of a team of three Building Surveyors reporting into the Property Development Manager, covering around 750 retail units across the United Kingdom.
Predominantly focusing on properties in the Midlands and the South of England, your key duties will be to support the acquisitions and oversee the fit-outs and improvements of stores, spanning from 4000 - 40000 sq. ft. with projects valuing up to 300K.
Responsibilities will be as follows:
- Carrying out acquisition surveys to identify any disrepair liabilities or operational issues that will need to be addressed in order to make the premises fit for purpose (Fire precautions, rights of way, asbestos & H&S)
- Undertaking measured surveys of stores.
- Preparing CAD plans detailing existing floor plan layouts and elevations
- Acting as Principle Designer ensuring full compliance with CDM
- Designing store fit outs and preparing CAD plans detailing these
- Submitting applications for and securing statutory consents (building regulation, planning, advert & listed building)
- Producing specifications and obtaining competitive tenders
- Tender analysis and award of contract
- Contract administration duties including chairing pre-start meetings with retailers and contractors, confirming scope and variations, final snag/handover and agreement of the final account
- Producing 'as built' handover file
- Arranging utility connections for new stores
What you'll need to succeed
This is a high volume role, in a team that will be delivering up to 40 store fit-outs each year, therefore you will need excellent time-management skills and the ability to work quickly and to strict deadlines.
You will need to be a strong communicator, with the confidence and skills to work independently and take initiative, as you will be providing management support on each project, undertaking negotiations with contractors, and liaising with senior retail management and key stakeholders.
You will need practical experience in AutoCAD, as you'll need to produce floor plans and technical drawings for store fit-outs. Working knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word & Outlook) is also essential for this role.
You will need to be commercially minded, taking a pragmatic approach to obstacles, and acting in a decisive manner to deliver your projects. You will need to work collaboratively as a team in order to succeed, taking a lead role when necessary to get the job done.
You will need previous experience as a Building Surveyor, ideally possessing a RICS or CIOB accredited degree in Building Surveying or Construction.
The ability to operate independently without support is crucial for your success in this role.
You will need a valid UK driver's license as the role will involve travel via car to sites across the country.
The successful candidate will be one who mirrors the British Heart Foundation's values: A Brave, Informed, Compassionate, & Driven individual, who will fit in well amongst like-minded professionals.
What you'll get in return
This role offers a fantastic benefits package that you're unlikely to find at a similar level for a client side position.
You will receive a £4.5K car allowance, or have a company car provided, as well as Healthcare & dental cover. The organisation offers Life Assurance and a flexible pension of up to 10% that your employer will match.
In addition to this package, you will get the opportunity to work for a commercially minded, forward thinking charity who have a fantastic track record of growth and success.
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.