Development Manager - Build To Rent
Development Manager - Build To Rent
LGIM Real Assets is a division of Legal & General Investment Management (LGIM), one of Europe’s largest institutional asset managers and a major global investor. Headed up by Bill Hughes, LGIM Real Assets has AUM of £24.9bn, actively investing and managing assets across commercial property, private residential, infrastructure, property lending and corporate credit.
As a residential investor, L&G’s business plan is to disrupt the existing model by owning and managing rental properties for the long term. Since launching an open-ended Build to Rent (BTR) Fund in 2016, L&G has secured £1bn to develop a significant portfolio of purpose built, private rented residential accommodation in key urban regeneration areas across the UK. To date, we have secured sites in Leeds, Bristol, Bath, Walthamstow, Birmingham, Salford and Brighton. Targeting schemes of over 150 units, our award-winning BTR platform has a pipeline of almost 2,000 homes with a target of 6,000 units in planning, development or operation by the end of 2019.
Having successfully launched our first scheme (www.theslateyard.com) and with several more equally ambitious schemes opening in 2018, we are seeking a highly motivated Development Manager to join our rapidly expanding BTR team. The successful candidate will be instrumental in designing, developing and delivering market-leading schemes in this strategically important and high-profile area for L&G.
- Assist the Residential Fund Manager with the preparation of asset specific business plans and report on the successful delivery against pre-agreed key metrics.
- Provide pre-purchase advice and due diligence on all new residential opportunities.
- Seek to add value through the acquisition phase through design, cost/benefit analysis and strong engagement with the local planning authority.
- Be responsible for effective management of costs and budgets when managing external consultants.
- Compile monthly, quarterly and annual reports in accordance with the asset business plan.
- Instruct and manage third party advisors to ensure all risks are managed and mitigated pre and post-acquisition.
- Project manage residential development opportunities through to a start on site, including appointment of contractors in accordance with the cost plan and construction programme, via external project managers where appropriate.
- Manage external development managers throughout the construction programme ensuring accurate and timely reporting against the business plan and including attending site visits and meetings on a regular basis.
- Contribute to the strategic thinking and planning in the residential sector, including an on-going analysis of the processes and procedures and where greater efficiency can be driven out of the procurement and construction process.
- Excellent academic background, with a numerical aptitude, strong A levels and a degree (which may be non-cognate).
- A strong track record of experience within the residential development sector, specifically in project management. Ideally some experience in the private rented sector.
- Ability to operate within a collegiate environment and show leadership both internally and externally.
- An innovative and dynamic approach to identifying issues throughout the development process and mitigating those risks in a cost effective and efficient manner.
- IT literate with a good working knowledge of Argus/Circle Investor and Excel.
- Highly organised with the ability to prioritise effectively.
- A team player and a good communicator.
This is an exciting opportunity to join an exceptional team which is at the forefront of the BTR asset class. Not only will you be helping to shape local communities across the UK, you will be part of an organisation that invests responsibly, considering the social, economic and environmental impact of every investment decision.
To apply in confidence, please contact LGIM’s Retained Consultant, Joanne Cuckson, by 4th May 2018 at:
T: 020 7769 6852
Summit Search & Selection Ltd, 29 Farm Street, Mayfair, London W1J 5RL.