Newly created client side role. As a consequence of a drive to look at efficiencies and improving standards relating to their property interests BCOP is seeking a versatile, forward thinking property / asset manager.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a small dynamic charity that would suit a candidate seeking a varied and challenging role, keen to utilise their commercial awareness and to expand an outlook from just one aspect of surveying.
BCOP is a small Registered Provider of housing for older people including independent living, supported housing and assisted living schemes located across Birmingham; over 160 units across 10 sites. We also operate a number of care homes.
Following the recent changes at senior executive and Board level, this is an exciting time to work with a progressive charity dedicated to the needs of older people, bridging social housing, social care and related services.
The in-house Estates Manager will support the charity in managing our property interests, developing and implementing a new asset strategy for future developments.
The in-house Estates Manager will work as part of the Senior Management Team to lead on, and be accountable for managing the charity’s property interests, developing and implementing an asset strategy in line with the organisation’s vision, mission and values.
The aim is to drive efficiencies and improve standards relating to BCOP property interests including care homes, independent living, supported housing and assisted living schemes located across Birmingham ensuring the effective management of properties to achieve best value.
Scope of the role
Working with staff, Directors and the Board in BCOP and external organisations to provide best in class modern property management services, deliver and evolve the asset management strategy and plan.
In relation to organisational structure, this post will provide line management to the Property Services Manager, who is responsible for a team of eight maintenance operatives, and the Housing & Charitable Services Manager, who oversees the work of three supported scheme managers.
• Support the Board in scoping its longer term asset strategy aligned to organisational mission, vision and values.
• Lead strategic development activity and deliver the objectives of the 5 year asset management plan to include getting assets ready for sale, disposals, acquisitions, sale and leaseback, new developments and refurbishment projects.
• Report to the Board on progress, including the setting and monitoring of performance and financial targets, and put forward investment proposals for approval.
• Undertake a financial options appraisal of the existing portfolio e.g. repair, redevelopment, divestment etc., taking into account other strategic considerations of the charity to make best use of resources.
• Define the most appropriate opportunities and routes for delivery, including initial market testing e.g. possibility for JVs, finance. The findings and recommendations will be presented to Board.
• Develop and maintain key stakeholder relationships and partnerships including but not limited to Housing Associations, local councils, tenants and suppliers.
• Provide advice to the Chief Executive and Board of Trustees on matters relating to asset risk, performance and regulatory compliance.
• Ensure effective training, supervision and appraisal for staff team to manage and implement agreed operational objectives and plans.
• Monitor performance within the areas of responsibility taking account of strategic plans, financial, performance and related targets.
• Oversee the management and implementation of a costed repairs and Planned Preventive Maintenance schedule.
• Oversee reactive repair works, actively manage suppliers, manage and review budgets.
• Oversee the management of rent reviews, tenancy compliance, voids management and re-lettings, and service charge budgeting and management.
• Review the charity’s policies and procedures in relevant areas for consistency with the requirements, processes and criteria of funding/ subsiding bodies and regulators.
• Responsible for overseeing the collation, audit and updating of property and tenancy data in conjunction with in-house and other reporting systems.
• Qualified Chartered Surveyor MRICS
• A minimum of 5 years post qualification experience in housing/property management/ asset management roles
• Social Housing knowledge, contacts and experience.
• Preferably have knowledge of issues in older people’s housing and/or social care environments.
• Experience of leading, managing and developing teams
• An ability to think strategically
• Commercially aware, strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to interact across all levels
• Effective project management skills
Further information is available at www.bcop.org.uk/careers
Applications (CV and supporting letter) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Friday 4th May at 12 noon.