Senior Acquisitions Surveyor
Senior Acquisitions Surveyor
Reports to: Senior Acquisitions Manager - North
12 month Fixed Term Contract
- Be responsible for the acquisition and relocation of stores in the Midlands and North Wales
- Execute the development plan in conjunction with the Senior Acquisitions Manager and development team
- To deliver a high quality, cost effective, acquisition and strategic asset management service to the company
- Ensuring at all times that proposals are implemented to programme and on optimum commercial terms
- Work closely with the Senior Acquisitions Manager and retained agents/consultants
- Responsible for the delivery of the annual acquisitions and relocation plan for the allotted area, to include:
- Timely delivery of news stores
- On budget
- In line with expected sales and ROI
- Terms negotiated to the best interests of the company
- Optimises the site development and site selection processes
- Ensures quality control standards for real estate transactions (cost, time, location, economics, market needs and deal quality etc.)
- Ensures best location/best value for all real estate acquisitions
- Communicates and implements corporate policies and procedures
- Externally and internally promotes a professional image of the department.
- Provide and present reports in line with company procedure for approval of sites at Senior Executive Level
- To fully research the local property market and develop and maintain contact with key agents, developers and local authorities to identify all potential opportunities
- To identify and bring forward appropriate sites and to:
- Secure operations support.
- Negotiate acceptable and beneficial acquisitions terms.
- Agree sales levels with operations and finance based upon site criteria, sales assessment models and benchmarking against existing stores performance.
- Liaise with the project manager and architect who will provide the site specific design and costs to ensure optimal provisions.
- To prepare financial appraisals taking into account trading performance and the impact of the acquisition on the existing estate.Based on this a full business case for all proposals is to be prepared, including an assessment of the quality of the opportunity, town profile, sales assessment, benchmarks, key risks and opportunities.
- To prepare and present acquisition papers, both pre-read and final approval, in line with agreed standards, to the Senior Executive board.
- To negotiate contracts in line with company best practice, ensuring we secure sites without compromising the quality of our operating, physical and financial asset, with maximum flexibility on timings.
- To work with the project manager and planning consultants to secure the requisite planning consent together with any appropriate planning agreements.
- To ensure a timely handover of the site (or completed shell development) to the project manager and manage legal and statutory progress to opening.
- To ensure that all outstanding planning and contractual matters are completed satisfactorily, before handing over to the relevant estate manager.
- To review the performance of projects post-completion with the Head of Acquisitions, VP Development and VP Finance.Use learnings to further improve the identification, development appraisal, approval and implementation of future schemes.
- To be fully aware of direct (and indirect) competitor activity in the property market, and apply any learnings to sourcing sites for McDonald's.
- To build confidence and credibility, both individually and for the acquisitions team, to provide impact and influence over internal colleagues, as well as creating an extensive network externally.
- Other duties as directed from time to time
- To work in and with the property team and in particular the Senior Acquisitions Manager.
- Develop a strong working relationship with retained agents, external suppliers, consultants and contractors.
- Develop a market profile within acquisition networks and outside consultants.
Regular Internal Customers
- To work closely with the Regional Construction Teams and key contacts in the Regional Operations, Finance, Communications, Marketing and franchising team.
- To work with all levels of personnel within McDonald's Head office/Regional offices.
- Cultivates and promotes working relationships with key internal departments including, Construction, Operations/Field
Knowledge and Experience
- Demonstrates a proactive approach in problem solving and an ability to think strategically, with the ability to make sound judgments. (Essential)
- Demonstrates the company's core values and a commitment to providing excellent customer service and a proactive approach to maximizing the performance of property assets in support of the business. (Essential)
- A proven ability to communicate effectively at all levels and to co-ordinate and manage a large range of internal and external relationships and resources including executive and senior executive level, directors of operations, franchisees, agents, solicitors, local and statutory authorities, architects, project managers and building surveyors (essential)
- Strong Negotiation skills.
- Solid project management skills.
- Strong market knowledge (competition, market planning, supply and demand of the business in trade areas.)
- Combination of commercial business and operations knowledge.
- Ability to build a reputation in a highly competitive market.
- Have a keen eye for detail.
- Be a good team player.
- Talented and enthusiastic.
- A pragmatic and common sense approach.
- Be able to work under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise effectively.
- Good command of English written and oral.
- Ability to use own initiative and be flexible to changing priorities.
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills.
- Proven track record in acquisitions and relocations preferably in the leisure and retail market (ideally)
- Chartered Surveyor (General Practice) with a minimum of 8 years relevant post qualification experience (ideally)
- Broad knowledge of landlord and tenant, planning, property and contract law, procurement, finance, construction and the acquisitions and development process (essential)