National Strategy Manager (Primary Care)
National Strategy Manager (Primary Care)
Grade: (Equivalent to Senior Strategy Manager / Area Director)
Base:London preferred (not essential)
Travel requirements: Regular travel across England
Responsible to: (Property Strategy lead)
Directorate: (currently Asset Management)
This is a National role in the combined PS/CHP Strategy team, providing oversight, and national / regional engagement, together with development and adoption of best practice and implementation approaches. The role will be leading on the simplification and continual improvement of our working methods and identifying synergies to reduce delivery timescales and implementation costs.
NHS Property Services Ltd is one of the largest property owners in the UK, with a £3 billion asset portfolio, some 4,000 properties, 3,000 employees and an annual income of over £700 million. Established in April 2013, the company is a limited company but also part of the wider NHS family.
The Strategic Estate Planning and Implementation (SEPI) function (which incorporates personnel from NHS Property Services (NHS PS) and Community Health Partnerships(CHP)), provides impartial advice across the wider NHS system, regardless of property ownership, advising commissioners and providers in relation to a broad range of optimisation, rationalisation, acquisition, disposal and lease restructuring opportunities. It is anticipated that the whole of NHS PS and CHP, will be coming together to form one NHS-wide property company in 2018, following the recent Naylor review, and the Strategy teams are already working together.
This role will provide advisory services across the wider NHS Estate regardless of property ownership.
Our aim is to deliver outstanding quality advice across the estate in partnership with NHS organisations, generating cost efficiencies that will benefit our tenants, patients and the wider health economy
Main purpose / scope of the role:
- Lead interface for Strategic Estates Planning & Implementation (SEPI) team to partner with key stakeholders, including NHS England to review policies and estates and IT programmes supporting the General Practice Forward View
- Collaborating with programme stakeholders and senior colleagues to ensure the wider, combined Property Company (PS and CHP) service develops in step with the strategy
- Provide internal direction and leadership to programmes such as Estates and Technology Transformation Fund across the Strategic Estates Planning (SEP) and Implementation functions
- Set baseline strategic approach to reviewing GP estate at CCG footprint, including data capture, key metrics and reporting to stakeholders
- Leading on the simplification and continual improvement of our working methods and identifying synergies to reduce delivery timescales and implementation costs
- The role extends to programmes and projects to develop community hubs
- Understand and work with various delivery arrangements relevant to the primary care sector, including Public Private Partnerships, private investment (e.g. third party development) and public sector capital routes.
- Owner of data and reporting for projects supporting the primary care strategy and General Practice Forward View
- Main interface with NHS England central team (including New Care Models team) to understand prevailing policies and programmes of work, and to agree an annual workstack for combined PS/CHP strategy and implementation teams
- To build strong, positive relationships with NHSE regional teams, CCG’s, occupiers – General Practice and primary care, in particular, and other relevant bodies, alongside SEPI regional leads
- Understand and plan for the implications of Primary Care development/property strategy and how this impacts and interconnects with property in the Community Estate
- Lead the development and adoption of best practice approaches to estate strategy development of the GP estate at CCG footprint (From ‘As-Is’ to ‘To-Be’) and work with SEP team regional leads to embed; this extends to setting out what good looks like for inclusion in refreshed Estate Plans
- Work with internal Evaluation and Analytics team to ensure sound financial analysis and standard approaches are adopted to evaluate Primary Care schemes
- Take ownership ofthought leadership in relation to ‘Community Hub’ developments and agree learning with key stakeholders for wider sharing
- Work across team to make sure resources are aligned to support those projects that are supported by the SEP team
- Undertake Strategic Level Programme management of key SEP team milestones, working with individual programme management leads
- Owner of data and reporting for the programmes supporting the GPFV on the SEP Tracker
- Develop case studies with SEPI team to communicate best practice
Essential: Educated to degree level in estate management or a related discipline. Member of a professional estates body e.g. RICS, RTPI.
Desirable: Post graduate qualification in a relevant area
Essential: Broad ranging property experience across a portfolio of diverse properties, focussing on development and implementation of programmes to transform estates.
Desirable: Knowledge of approach to Property Strategy. Understanding of healthcare policies including GP Forward View & Five Year Forward View.
Essential: Significant experience constructing, managing and implementing property transformation programmes. Ability to manage professional teams, including internal and external resources to obtain best value for money for NHS. Work experience within healthcare or other government property sectors.
Desirable: Understanding of Primary Care sector in NHS. Working with public-private partnership arrangements for project delivery. Working with private sector developers and investors.
Essential: Ability to assimilate & summarise large amounts of information to present a coherent case for property change. Computer literate. Commercially astute & able to balance service needs with financial outcomes. Familiar with and able to utilise cash flow analysis to support strategy. Capable of driving change and maintaining focus on delivery in challenging situations.
Essential: Self-motivated, quick learner, ability to work in team on multiple parallel tasks and report to deadlines. Experience of communicating, influencing & reporting to stakeholders at a senior level. Report writing, presentational, & strong customer engagement skills.
Desirable: Innovative thinker, willing to take on new roles and responsibilities.